Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cod Liver Oil Study

This is the newest med we are doing w/ Isaiah, his Dr. put him on Cod Liver Oil...as I did my part to make sure I am as educated as possible on Isaiah's treatments I found one medical paper by Dr Mary Megson in which she discusses in a scientific way her work around cod liver oil supplementation, principally in relation to Autism, it had so much information that pertained to me and Isaiah. This was a very interesting paper...I got lots of great information out of it, so I thought I'd share, and as I read it jotted down my thoughts and feelings along the way...

In the very first paragraph it discusses the link between autism and the pertussis vaccine, which I find ironic running across this in the wake of the DOD announcement that DTaP causes autism.

Just in the beginning she talks about one or more parents of these children suffering night blindness, that pertains in our case (me), she also mentions the thyroid...which Isaiah has a rare genetic condition, that my grandfather shares, (it's x linked recessive so I am a carrier and all my sons have it) where on paper he appears to have hyperthyroidism, although he does not. I just feel like we're finding more and more pieces to Isaiah's puzzle here!

I can't copy and past from the paper because of the form it's downloaded in, but I have a link below,

She talks about disorders of the eye, which when Isaiah was diagnosed with his eye muscles are weak and his eyes don't come together properly(which for the life of me I can't remember the name of right now, the eye Dr. said it was common in autistic children)...also the other thing that grabbed my attention was families with Colon Cancer, which we do have a family history of on my mothers side.

I highly recommend you taking a few minutes and reading this medical paper


http://www.scribd.com/doc/2574676/Cod-Liver-Oil-suplementation-for-autism-and-psychological-disorders

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link- I love to soak up as much info as possible. I know what you mean, about finding the pieces, and how exciting it is to find parts of your son or your health in studies...

A few years ago when I first read Karyn Seroussi's book- she mentioned a study in which they found rates of autism higher in children who had moms who needed to get the MMR booster because their bloodwork showed an inadequate amount of rubella titers- and that maybe those moms were really just immune to rubella...
Well, where I'm going with this is I recieved the vaccination for it when I was a child, when I was 17 when I went to college and still didn't have enough titers during BOTH of my pregnancies and I recieved the shot after both births- and breastfed Brian...

Very interesting- found this link, if you are interested- http://www.kyrieology.com/drupal/health/autism